Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Spirulina


Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and carotenoids, antioxidants that protect the cells against damage. High in B Complex, beta-carotene, Vitamin E, manganese, zinc, copper, iron, selenium and gamma linolenic acid.




Started adding Spirulina into my diet about a year ago. Adding it into smoothies was the first step, adding it into water was step 2 and now I put it in my cookies as well (shh!)



Smoothie

1 Banana
handful of raspberries
1 cup Almond Milk (or water)
1 heaping Tbsp. of Spirulina
1 Tbsp. of Bee Pollen (California blend for allergies, otherwise, any will do)





I also make Spirulina cookies that are great post workout. I add bee pollen and avocado as well. It is my quick pick me up mid afternoon as well as a great source of protein. 
Note to new Spirulina lovers: use only organic and trusted brands for Spirulina that tests the quality of each batch. I posted the Health Force Spirulina above as that is what I use and trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment