Monday, March 24, 2014

Love: The Definition of You

What you do on a daily basis eventually becomes who you are at the end of your life. 

I wake up, teach class, eat, teach another class, eat again. Nap. Eat. Teach. Eat. Teach. Sleep. Somewhere in the mix of all that I fit in time for myself, or that ends up being nap time again. I sat down with a pad of paper and wrote down what is hard for me to do. On that list included: take the time to notice the small things, be kind when all I feel is angry, when you are in need--give back to others. The list went on but I realized that I can do all of the things that I am terrible at each and every day. I am in control of the focus of my life story. If I can take the time to reflect each month over the things I need to work on or even the things I want to accomplish. When I started applying that philosophy to my life it started to drive my day towards others instead of making the day all about me and my needs.

I think so many times we think we should be doing "X" to define "Y." We chase after a dream that we never truly explored. If you love money, then define yourself as that. I am under the assumption that there is always more to a person than what they want to show everyone. We are complex, emotional and passionate beings that want to be accepted. So it is natural to try to prove your worth to family, friends and all those that are interested. Hard question is, can you just exist in a space that is all yours? Can you love without being loved back?

I wrote what my definition is: Katherine Ryan, I am a servant, who loves to read, listen to music and be outdoors, preferably with sunshine and sand. I love to love. I love to teach those who want to learn. I want to serve the world in a capacity I am not sure of now, so I will keep my heart and my mind open to that possibility.


When I started teaching there were times when no one would show up. It was defeating, I could of given up, threw my hands up and said this was too tough, no one wants me. But I sat down, I wrote down reasons why I love what I do, why I chose to give up another life, another career for this. I had months that were tough, very, very tough. I realized that regardless of the audience in front of me, I was fueled by learning and by teaching. I choose to show up day in and day out with a purpose, a reason for teaching and I ask clients to define why they are in my class. If they are not leaving class having learned something either they are in the wrong class or I am the wrong teacher for them. The people in our lives need to give us something; inspiration, motivation, conversation all lead up to great client relationships but that has to continue otherwise the relationship will end. You have to continue to show up ready to learn and explore.


I have been exploring this teacher/student relationship for a while and it is so great to see students start to explore other classes and other teachers. I implore you all to ask the hard questions, why do I get up every morning? Why am I going to this class? Why am I going to work? Why do I have this person in my life? Keep yourself challenged and keep on challenging those in your life. That is when transformation happens, where breakthrough occurs and moves are truly made. Don't look back at your life with regrets, live each day how you want. And if you make a mistake, try again and be better the next time.


2 comments:

  1. You explore the definition of who you are in this post. I applaud that; it's refreshing. Notably, I find, the title of your post to ultimately be the definition of who you are.
    That is to say, you, Katherine, are love.

    You pose the question, "Can you love without being loved back?" It is a thought-provoking question, which I explored in a piece drafted several years ago. I am sharing it here, because I believe it germane to your post. http://www.feelwellyoga.com/2/post/2014/04/law-of-love.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Glad to have provoked :)

      Delete